Although Twitter can be a divisive and nasty place to hang out when negative news trends, which is always, I have had heaps of fun on Twitter over the years. My secret is to try my best to use tunnel vision to concentrate on what is positive. When you join a community like the #WritingCommunity—being on Twitter can be terrific.
Some of the best days I have spent on Twitter have been getting to know new author friends and experiencing the thrill of having a favourite celebrity retweet my tweet. It’s even better when they comment. I have had exchanges with Mike Scott, Russell Brand, Shaun Cassidy, Denis Leary, Maria Doyle Kennedy and James Purefoy. I have also had the pleasure of talking to a few of my favourite authors: Susanna Kearsley, Alma Katsu, Steven Rowley, and Jane Porter.
So, if you’re looking for a way to get more out of Twitter, here are some tips.
Ten Tips for Tempting #Twitterati to Follow You
1. TALK to people on Twitter!
2. Personalize your background and add a profile photo & header photo image.
3. Write a catchy bio with pertinent info about you or your company using searchable keywords.
4. Include a link to your website or blog.
5. Tweet interesting, valuable content regularly and consistently.
6. Use between 1-3 relevant #hashtags.
7. Retweet other people’s content and choose wisely to ensure it’s the most helpful RT for them.
8. Put the people you’re following into Lists according to keywords and then use them to filter your Twitter Feed to find the people you want to talk to.
9. Register your own hashtags at Twubs.com and start a Twitter chat.
10. Use Tweepi to unfollow those people who are inactive or not following you back.
Repeat steps 4 through 10 regularly.
Have fun on Twitter and never forget to talk to people!
Please share this post if you find it helpful.