SAT. DEC. 19, 2020 – 8:00pm EST (5:00 PST / 7:00pm CST)
SPECIAL GUESTS: Rebecca Campbell, Tamar Ilana, Donné Roberts, Kristine St-Pierre & more TBA!
As winter crests and the mercury falls, everyone from your taxi driver to the music supervisor at the mall starts running timeless hits like “Jingle Bells” and “Silent Night.” But on their Christmas Caravan album which hit Billboard’s World Music Charts and the New York Times Hits List, Canada’s string wizards Sultans of String go deeper. Recorded and co-produced with JUNO Award winning engineer John ‘ Beetle’ Bailey, Christmas Caravan isn’t your typical holiday album. You may recognize a few titles but you’ve never experienced seasonal music quite like this before. They’ll be bringing global grooves and goodwill to hearts and homes with their Christmas Caravan Zoom and fundraising concert for the UNHCR http://fundraise.unhcr.ca/sultansofstring
“Helping refugees is a cause we care about deeply because more than 67 million refugees worldwide are in desperate need of our support. They have every right to live a safe and dignified life as much as we do”, says bandleader/violinist and Queens Diamond Jubilee recipient Chris McKhool. “By supporting our tour and partnership with the UNHCR, you are providing life-saving assistance to refugees all over the world.”
These efforts are part of the band’s global vision to unite countries, cultures and traditions through the international language of music. McKhool explains, “My parents are from Lebanese and Egyptian backgrounds, and also celebrated Christmas in the home. So Christmas songs as well as music from around the globe were always part of my upbringing. With this record and show, we created the spiritual Christmas songs I have always wanted to hear and perform that honoured this tradition, as well as diverse cultures.
“We wanted to make a real contribution to the Christmas repertoire, and hopefully create some new standards” adds McKhool. “And while this is a Christmas album, it is approached from the perspective of a world music band. We explored diverse genres, from Quebecois fiddle tunes to collaborating with a traditional Turkish string ensemble, and jump around from the classic sounds of the Andrews Sisters, to a Himalayan sleigh ride, African roots music, Gypsy-jazz, rumba flamenco, ska, and even the grandeur of the symphony.”
For this festive event, the band has some very special guests joining in on the holiday cheer, including Rebecca Campbell, Tamar Ilana, Donné Roberts, Kristine St-Pierre, and more tba!
FEEDBACK FROM OUR ZOOM CONCERTS
“Music sounded amazing and the video production was super slick.”
“This was the best Zoom – online show I have seen. The setting and production values were excellent. It was obvious that time was taken to ensure us of a completely professional concert. Loved the music – hope there are more to come.”
“The show was amazing. Sound was top-notch, and I would know since I’ve been subjected to online classes for a while now. Overall great experience”
“It was great to have live music come right to our homes. The band played amazing music! The sound quality was wonderful. Hope to hear more live music from Sultans of String, soon.”
“That was a show, a variety show! A celebration of talent and music and diversity. So many friends and happiness coming together and you seamlessly switched from live acts around the country (ies) to videos to your home stage. Wow. big WOW! I had to remember that I was watching a live show, not a recorded, remixed and cut in the studio and then broadcast. Phenomenal.”
• 2020 Canadian Folk Music Awards nominees – Ensemble of The Year & Producer of the Year for “Refuge”
• 2020 Folk Music Ontario – Songs From The Heart Award for “I Am A Refugee” & Instrumental Song for “Refuge”
• 2018 Canadian Folk Music Awards nominees – Producer of the Year with Christmas Caravan
• 2018 Music featured in the acclaimed film, “Hotel Mumbai”
• 2017 JUNO nominees – World Music Album of the Year
• 2017 New York Times Hits List with Christmas Caravan
• 2017 Billboard World Music Charts — Christmas Caravan CD hits #6
• 2017 Canadian Nielsen World Music Charts – Christmas Caravan CD hits #3
• 2017 Folk Music Ontario- Songwriting Award for “Sing For Kwanzaa” from Christmas Caravan
• 2016 Canada’s High Commission in London UK presents SOS at Trafalgar Square
• 2016 Canadian Folk Music Awards winners– World Music Group of the Year
• 2016 Global Music Awards– World Music / Beats
• 2016 ISC – Honorable Mention
• 2015 JUNO nominees – Instrumental Album of the Year
• 2015 TIMA winners – Best World Album
• 2014 SiriusXM Independent Music Awards Winner- World Group of the Year
• 2014 IMA Independent Music Award Winner – Instrumental
• 2013 ISC International Songwriting Competition Winner- Instrumental
• 2013 Festivals & Events- Performer of The Year
• 2013 Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for bandleader Chris McKhool
• 2012 Canadian Folk Music Awards winners– World Music Group of the Year
• 2012 Festivals & Events- Entertainer of The Year
• 2011 International Acoustic Music Awards Finalist – Instrumental
• 2011 Independent Music Award 2x Finalist – Instrumental & World Beat Album
• 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition 2x Finalist- Instrumental & World Music
• 2010 JUNO Award Nominees – “Instrumental Album of the Year”
• 2010 Canadian Independent Music Awards nominees- Favorite World Group
• 2009 International Songwriting Competition (ISC) First Place – Instrumental
• 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award triple nominee winning Instrumental Group of the Year
(also nominated for Ensemble of the Year and Pushing the Boundaries)
• 2008 International Songwriting Competition Winner (ISC) – Instrumental
• 2008 Festivals & Events Ontario- Best Variety Act
This recording was produced with the support of the City of Toronto through the Toronto Arts Council.
We would like to acknowledge funding support from the Ontario Arts Council, an agency of the Government of Ontario.
This project is funded in part by FACTOR, the Government of Canada and Canada’s private radio broadcasters.
Ce projet est financé en partie par FACTOR, le gouvernement du Canada et les radiodiffuseurs privés du Canada.