How lucky am I to be working with 2010 Juno Award nominees, Sultans of String and their inimitable leader, Chris McKhool?
For those not in the know, Sultans of String is a world / jazz / flamenco string band that also showcases Latin, Cuban, Middle Eastern & Folk rhythms, and Manouche Gypsy-jazz through some extraordinarily fiery violin dances. They’re also amassing an awards list that just keeps growing and growing:
• 2011 International Acoustic Music Awards Finalist – Instrumental
• 2011 Independent Music Award Finalist – Instrumental Album – Yalla Yalla!
• 2011 Independent Music Award Finalist – World Beat Album – Yalla Yalla!
• 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition Finalist- “Auyuittuq Sunrise”- Instrumental category
• 2011 ISC International Songwriting Competition Finalist- “Gardens Of Lebanon”- World Music category
• 2010 JUNO Award Nominees for Yalla Yalla! – Instrumental Album of the Year
• 2010 Canadian Independent Music Awards nominees- Favourite World Artist/Group
• 2009 International Songwriting Competition (ISC) winners – Instrumental
• 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award triple nominee with Sultans winning Instrumental Group of the Year
(also nominated for Ensemble of the Year and Pushing the Boundries)
• 2009 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Best Toronto World CD
• 2009 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Artist of the Year
• Luna CD hit #1 across Canada on Top Ten national radio charts – “International” & ” World/Folk” categories
• 2008 International Songwriting Competition Winner (ISC) – Instrumental
• 2008 Festivals & Events Ontario- Best Variety Act
• 2008 Canadian Independent Music Awards Finalists- Favourite World Music Band
• 2008 International Independent Music Awards Finalists- Best World Fusion Song
• 2007 Musique du Monde Award
• 2007 Canadian Folk Music Award nominees – Best Instrumentalist Group
• 2007 Ontario Independent Music Award winner- Best Song & Best Instrumental
• 2007 Toronto Exclusive Magazine Award Winner- Best Latin Jazz Group
• 2007 Toronto Independent Music Award nominees – World Music Category
Sultans of String’s members include: Chris McKhool on violin (who has performed with Jesse Cook, Pavlo, Club Django), guitarists Kevin Laliberté (Jesse Cook, the Chieftains) & Eddie Paton (Robert Michaels), bass masters Drew Birston (Chantal Kreviazuk) & David Woodhead (Stan Rogers, Loreena McKennitt), Cuban master percussionists Chendy Leon & Alberto Suarez, and Bassam Bishara (master oud player from Palestine).
Today, the band released their 3rd CD (previous albums are titled Luna and Yalla Yalla!) entitled MOVE! They are very proud of this record, a great collaborative effort among the band and all the wonderful folks who helped them record it. You can help move Move by ordering your copy today by mail at http://tinyurl.com/sultansMove or first, you can listen to some of its tracks on their BandPage on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sultansofstring.
Fans of Jesse Cook, Pavlo, Gipsy Kings and Club Django will undoubtedly welcome Canada’s ambassadors of musical diversity into their CD collections! If your toes start tapping, your head starts bobbin’ and your hips start swaying, don’t say I didn’t warn you!
For a visual taste of this AMAZING ensemble, check out Yalla Yalla! on YouTube: